Swedish massage is the most commonly offered and best known type of massage throughout the massage world. Swedish massage is the building block for many other types of Western massage, including sports, deep tissue and aromatherapy. It uses a firm but gentle pressure to improve the circulation, ease muscle aches and tension, create relaxation and improve flexibility. I recommend all all first time clients to begin with a swedish massage. Swedish massage's main purpose is relaxation, some even call the swedish massage a
swedish/relaxation massage or just a relaxation massage. Most massage types use a variety of similar strokes (movements), but some incorporate deeper (more firm) pressure than swedish massage, and/or a higher percentage of strokes against each-other. Learn more about massage at massage & relaxation main.
Description: Swedish Massage
Swedish massage incorporates five different movements:
- Gliding strokes (long strokes over the body)
- Kneading (using your hands to make a chewing motion over the muscle to kneed it)
- Friction (directed to one area, typically a deeper technique)
- Tapping or cupping (a light drumming-like technique over the body) Most therapists avoid this technique because it can interrupt relaxation.
- Vibration (moving the body or limbs as a whole back and forth in a vibrating motion).
Advice: Swedish Massage
- The therapist generally uses massage oil or lotion to make long, smooth strokes over the body.
- Swedish massage is done with the person professionally draped to ensure professional boundaries.
- One part of the body is uncovered, massaged, and then covered up before moving on to another part of the body.
- Typically, a questionnaire is filled out and a pre-massage interview is conducted to determined what type of massage best suites your needs for the day.
- Also, a post interview is conducted to discuss any issues the therapist may have found and give you a few tips and recommendations.
- Article for Flash Mavi by Josh Rosheisen from (getfitandmassage.com) Houston.
Related Topics: Swedish Massage
Videos: Swedish Massage