Capoeira Armada Kick
This video shows how to do an Armada, which is one of the most basic/popular kicks in capoeira. The armada (lit: "Assault") is a spinning inside to outside crescent kick where you kick with the outside blade of the foot (not with the heel). There are different armada variations in
capoeira. For example the Armada Pulada (with a hop) Armada Dupla (also knows as Envergado or Bandeira) or the Armada com Martelo. For more capoeira videos click here and don't forget to check out the animated capoeira section.
- This instruction is for the left capoeira armada. For the right side of this kick, do the whole thing the other way around.
- Start from the ginga and step back with your left leg.
- Then step back to the middle and turn your left foot slightly to the left.
- Now, instead of stepping back with your right leg, plant your right foot in front of your left foot (close to your left foot - see video). Turn to the left, but keep looking at your opponent as long as possible.
- Then turn around and lift your left leg. Kick with the outside blade of your left foot.
- Since you have to turn, you will lose sight of your opponent for a moment. Turn your head back to your opponent as soon as possible.
- Armada Pulada: Armada with a hop/jump. Jump from your right leg so that the actual kick is executed in the air.
- Armada Dupla: Link to instruction coming soon
- Armada com Martelo: Armada followed by Martelo
- Practice both sides of this capoeira kick.
- Exercise: Start from the ginga, face to face with a training partner. Every few steps one of you throws an armada and the other one tucks under it.