This is the most popular triceps stretch. Do this stretch as an elbow warm-up or before and between triceps, biceps,
shoulder and chest exercises. Find
triceps exercises at weight
training main. Find more information about stretching at stretching
Stand upright or sit on a bench and keep your
upper body upright. Look straight forward.
- Bend your left arm and put your left palm on your
back - between the shoulder blades. The elbow points straight up and is close to the back of the head.
- Then put your right hand on your left
elbow and pull it gently towards the center line. The left hand remains on the spine and the elbow close to the head. Keep looking straight forward
- Note: If
you kept your elbow close to your head and bent your head down, you would not stretch your triceps properly. Keep in mind that the elbow of the stretched arm should point straight up and not forward.
- Warm up your arms before you stretch your
- Hold this triceps stretch for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Stop if your shoulders
or your elbows hurt.
- Do this stretch as a warm up for any upper body
exercise where you push something up or away from your chest. For example push-ups, barbell shoulder press or triceps
- The illustration above shows how you stretch your left triceps. To stretch your right triceps, do the whole thing the other way
- This stretch should be applied when you warm up
your shoulders or between triceps or chest exercises.